At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing is looking for a Mechanical and Structural Engineering Manager – Level K for our Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA. (VAFB) job site supporting the Ground-based Missile Defense (GMD) program. The Ground-based Interceptor Production and Test (GBI P & T) team is responsible for the final integration and test of the GBI through to emplacement at the two launch sites – Ft. Greely, AK and VAFB, CA. The Mechanical & Structural Engineering Manager will be an integral member of the Boeing Global Services – Engineering Support & Sustainment business unit.
The individual manages and integrates employee’s activities for production engineering and testing at VAFB, Lompoc, CA; Ft. Greely, AK and Huntsville, AL integration and test facilities. Develops and executes project and process plans, implements policies and procedures and sets production goals. Acquires resources for projects, provides technical management of team and leads process improvements. Develops and maintains relationships and partnerships with customers, stakeholders, peers, partners and direct reports. Provides oversight and approval of technical approaches, products and processes. Manages, develops and motivates employees. Works with and provides oversight to support BGS and BDS GMD Program requirements, management, and all additional test support activities on the program. In addition, the candidate will have Control Account Manager (CAM) duties for major test support suppliers.
- Serve as functional manager for team as well as members reporting to other groups on program.
- Strong communication and people skills.
- Supervise production and review of drawings, ICD’s, SVD’s and other documentation pertaining to integration and testing of GBI.
- Supervise and coordinate engineering integration support and MRB activities.
- Experienced with 2D/3D CAD systems (NX11 and AutoCAD helpful).
- Conversant with MS Word, Excel, Power Point for report and specification writing, presentations and statusing.
- Familiar with Materials and Manufacturing Processes of aerospace structural elements and assemblies.
- Responsible for Configuration Control Board change package development and approval.
- Coordinates with team and program IPT’s to meet scheduling goals and address operation and design issues.
- Manages team Safety, First time quality and Lean+ activities.
- Manages team performance and relationship to ensure delivery, quality, financial stability and in-service performance.
- Mitigates risks and issues.
This position requires an active Secret U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering
- 5+ years of leadership experience
Preferred Qualifications/Desired Skills (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience working on the Ground Based Mid-Course Defense (GMD) system
- Experience performing mechanical/structural engineering tasks on a missile defense program
- Participated in every phase of a product lifecycle (e.g. requirements definition, systems design, systems development, systems integration, systems test and systems support).
- Team Leadership experience – Ability to lead, inspire, and motivate teams, strategic relationships, third-party vendors, and international teams. Ability to build exceptional teams, including hiring, developing, mentoring and retaining talent and creating a deep talent pipeline
Bachelors degree and typically 9 or more years experience in an engineering classification or a Masters degree with typically 7 or more years experience in an engineering classification or a PhD degree with typically 4 or more years experience in an engineering classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position does not offer relocation.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options. (Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA.)
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply ASAP for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.
At Boeing, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
The Boeing Company also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
Summary pay range: 139,400 – 188,600
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Boeing is the worlds largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners and defense space and security systems. As Americas biggest manufacturing exporter the company supports airlines and U.S. and allied government customers in more than 150 countries. Boeing products and tailored services include commercial and military aircraft satellites weapons electronic and defense systems launch systems advanced information and communication systems and performance-based logistics and training.